Applications for the JMK Award 2023 are now closed.
To apply for the JMK Award 2023 you need to choose from a list of plays. The play list will be sent out in a newsletter on Tuesday 13th December. After that date, you’ll need to email Suzie on firstname.lastname@example.org to have access to the list. Click here to sign up to the newsletter and select “JMK Award” to receive all the latest information.
Please read the below information and click “Apply now” to begin your application. If you find this format inaccessible and can better communicate your ideas through an audio application please email Suzie (email@example.com) to arrange. Suzie is available to talk through the application process in the first instance.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I apply for the JMK Award?
You can apply for the Award if the following statements apply to you:
- I have not directed more than three professional productions. A professional production is defined here as a full-length piece performed by professional actors (whether paid or unpaid) to a paying audience for a full production run (3 weeks or more)
- I have some professional training or practical experience in the performing arts
- I am not in full or part-time education or currently undertaking a degree between now and November 2023.
- I am no more than 35 years of age on 1st January 2023.*
- I am a resident in the UK.
*The JMK Award was set up in memory of an early career director who died young, and therefore, unlike our other free bursaries and workshops, is supported specifically by funders who align with the charitable aim to support young artists. However, we are aware that people may encounter barriers to participation in the arts at a young age, specifically people with intersecting protected characteristics, that prevent them from engaging with opportunities such as this sooner. If this applies to you, email us and we will call to discuss the basis on which you can still be an applicant for the Award. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact details and we will arrange a time for a call.
How do I apply?
- Look at the play list and read plays that are of interest to you. The play list will be sent out in a newsletter on Tuesday 13th December. After that date, you’ll need to email Suzie on email@example.com to have access to the list.
- Choose one play to develop for the stage. Pick a play that you have something to say about, as you may be spending up to a year or more with it!
- Fill out our application form below. If you find this format inaccessible and can better communicate your ideas through an audio application please email Suzie (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange.
The play list is released with a good amount of time before the application deadline closes. All scripts are accessible via Issuu. If you require a different format, PDF copies are available on request.
What should I include in my application?
Section one: The online part of the application form will ask you for some personal information such as contact details and equal opportunities monitoring. Please note the application process is anonymised so this information is not passed onto the panel and names will be removed from your CVs.
Section two: You will be asked to upload the written part of the application as a Word Document. Click here to download a blank version of this section.
Section three: Upload a copy of your CV as a Word Document. Please indicate on your CV which productions are professional.
Dates for your diaries:
There are some key dates you will need to be available in order to apply for the award:
11th February: Director/Designer Day at the Orange Tree Theatre, London. This will be for those longlisted in the 2nd round. Travel bursaries are available for those outside of London.
There are currently two sets of dates for the rehearsal, tech, previews and press period for the production at The Orange Tree – 31st July-7th September and 11th September – 19th October. Please do not apply if you are not available these dates. If you are only available for one set of dates, we can discuss this in the long-listing period.
Applications are now closed.