The JMK Trust in partnership with Northern Stage is offering an Assistant Director Bursary to a young director based in the North East of England. The bursary is an arts scholarship, funded by the Lever-hulme Trust that will provide a learning and training opportunity for a talented emerging director, based in the North East of England who has demonstrated a commitment to directing and a passion for theatre making. The recipient will become a Leverhulme Arts Scholar.
We are looking for an assistant director for Mark Calvert’s upcoming production of Alice in Wonder-land. This production of Alice in Wonderland is Theresa Heskin’s adaptation of Lewis Carroll’s fa-mous children’s book. It is Northern Stage’s Christmas offering and will be performed in the epic space at Northern Stage. The Creative Team is: Director: Mark Calvert. Designer: Rhys Jarman: Musi-cal Director: Jeremy Bradfield: Lighting Designer: Colin Grenfell: Movement Director: Martin Hylton: Sound Designer: Nick John Williams
The assistant director will need to be available for:
Casting Workshop day in July 2017 – Date to be arranged
Rehearsals from 23rd October 2017
Technical from 20th November 2017
First preview 25th November 2017
Press: 30th November 2017
Closes: either 30th December or 6th January – dependent on demand
As Assistant Director, your duties would include:
• To provide general assistance to the Director.
• As agreed with the Director, to carry out any research that will inform and benefit the production.
• To observe rehearsals and have input in discussions and production meetings.
• To assist the company in documenting the rehearsal process for the purposes of marketing, archiving and evaluating the project through blogs, social media and other forms as agreed.
• To observe and assist the Director in the production week as required.
• To attend and participate in post-show discussions by mutual agreement with the Producer.
• To support the company whilst the play is in performance as agreed with the Direc-tor and Stage Manager, including attending and noting the production.
• Any further duties as required by the Director.
The bursary recipient will demonstrate a commitment to living and making theatre in the North East area and will also be or become a participant of the JMK & Northern Stage’s Directors’ Group and as part of the bursary will also be responsible for working with the JMK Artistic Coordinator, and Nor-thern Stage to support and facilitate the group until next year’s bursary recipient is chosen.
The Leverhulme Bursary consists of £2,350.
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter to Mark Calvert firstname.lastname@example.org by 7th July 2017
Interviews will be held in week commencing 24th July date tbc.
• Why you are interested in working with Mark Calvert the director on this produc-tion of Alice in Wonderland at Northern Stage.
• Your relevant experience and what you can bring to the role
• How this assisting opportunity and involvement in the Northern Stage/ JMK Trust Directors’ group will contribute to your professional development
• Your commitment to living and making theatre in the North East of England.
If you have any questions please contact email@example.com