The Trust set up the James Menzies-Kitchin Young Director Award to enable talented directors like James put on their own productions of classic plays. Formerly at the Young Vic, the JMK Award entered a new partnership with the Orange Tree Theatre in 2019. With its track record of supporting some of the best directors in the industry, the Award remains a vital opportunity for young directors.
Over the past 8 years the Trust has developed a National Programme, working in partnership with 14 regional theatres, taking free training, development opportunities and mentoring to young and emerging directors around the country. Through this work we are reaching those who might not otherwise be able to access training and enabling directors from a broad range of backgrounds to join the industry.
We have so far awarded 55 Assistant Director Bursaries, funded by The Leverhulme Trust, the family of Bob Carlton (Birmingham Rep) and the Carne Trust (Sherman Cymru), which enable directors based outside of London to assist on a production at their local theatres. This work has been a catalyst for theatres getting to know their local directors and has initiated many new relationships between venues, directors and other creatives.
Each year we need to raise money for all of our activity and every donation helps us to deliver this work. You can make a donation and help us to continue to find and support the most talented directors by clicking below. If you’re a UK taxpayer remember to sign up for Gift Aid to add an extra 25% to your donation:
- £120 (or £10 per month) could cover the cost of building a model box for a JMK Award finalist;
- £600 (or £50 per month) could fund the sessions for all twenty applicants on our Award longlist, in which they learn about how best to work with their designer;
- £900 (or £75 month) could enable five of our directors to work for two days with two professional actors each;
- £1200 (or £100 month) could fund opportunities for 20 regionally-based directors at one of our partner venues.
To support our work with a donation, please visit our Charities Aid Foundation page.
Free Donations when you shop online:
It’s easy to raise donations for The JMK Trust for free when you shop online:
AmazonSmile is operated by Amazon with the same products, prices, and shopping features as Amazon.co.uk. The difference is that when you shop on AmazonSmile, the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products to the charitable organisation of your choice. You can help us continue our programmes for directors at no extra cost to your shop!
Just visit https://smile.amazon.co.uk and log into your Amazon account, then search for the James Menzies-Kitchin Memorial Trust in the ‘pick your own charity’ search bar. Click to confirm us as your selected charity, and then start shopping!
1. Head to https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/thejmktrust and join for free.
2. Every time you shop online (at any of over 4000 partner retailers), easyfundraising will ask if you want that retailer to make a donation – at no cost to you.
3. After you’ve checked out, that retailer will make a donation to The JMK Trust for no extra cost whatsoever!
There are no catches or hidden charges and The JMK Trust will be really grateful for your donations.
Donating shares, with Sharegift:
You can donate shares to ShareGift and mention you are a supporter of The JMK Trust. ShareGift is a charity specialising in accepting smaller number of shares, and they make donations to different charities based on donor suggestion.
In order to qualify for the tax relief, the shares or securities must be:
- listed or dealt on a recognised UK or foreign stock exchange
- units in authorised unit trusts
- shares in a UK open-ended investment company
- holdings in certain foreign collective investment schemes
For more information on tax relief for gifts of shares to charity and what records you need to keep please see the HMRC guidance notes
Please contact ShareGift on 020 7930 3737 or through their website for further details.
Thank you for your support.
For all enquiries relating to support/sponsorship please email: email@example.com