Assistant Directing Opportunity – The Caretaker
The JMK Trust in partnership with Bristol Old Vic is offering an Assistant Director Bursary to a participant of the JMK & Bristol Old Vic Directors’ Group. The bursary is an arts scholarship, funded by the Leverhulme Trust that will provide a learning and training opportunity for a talented emerging director, based in the Bristol area who has demonstrated a commitment to directing and a passion for theatre making. The recipient will become a Leverhulme Arts Scholar.
We are looking for an assistant director for Chris Haydon’s upcoming production of The Caretaker. We are particularly interested in BAME candidates. The role will enable the applicant to experience the complete arc of a professional rehearsal process, from the first read-through to opening night. This production of The Caretaker is a Bristol Old Vic production.
The assistant director will need to be available for:
• Rehearsals from 7 August 2017
• Technical rehearsals from 4 September 2017
• First preview 9 September 2017
• Press: 14 September 2017
• Closes: 30 September 2017
The Caretaker – Note from Chris Haydon
I am fascinated by the Caretaker as a play about the need to find a home in a hostile world. Davies’ displacement, and the mystery surrounding where he is from make the play feel really relevant for a world in which migration and refugees sit at the heart of so much contemporary debate.
As Assistant Director you would:
• Be a good brain and will be a fun presence in the rehearsal room.
• Have good instincts when it comes to the overlap between politics and art and will have the potential to be a visionary director in their own right.
• To provide general assistance to the Director.
• As agreed with the Director, to carry out any research that will inform and benefit the production.
• To observe rehearsals and have input in discussions and production meetings.
• To assist the company in documenting the rehearsal process for the purposes of marketing, archiving and evaluating the project through blogs, social media and other forms as agreed.
• To observe and assist the Director in the production week as required.
• To attend and participate in post-show discussions by mutual agreement with the Producer.
• To support the company whilst the play is in performance as agreed with the Director and Stage Manager, including attending and noting the production.
• Any further duties as required by the Director.
The bursary recipient will demonstrate a commitment to living and making theatre in the Bristol area and will also be or become a participant of the JMK Bristol Old Vic Directors’ Group and as part of the bursary will also be responsible for working with the JMK Artistic Coordinator, and Bristol Old Vic to support and facilitate the group until next year’s bursary recipient is chosen.
The Leverhulme Bursary consists of £2,350 inclusive of all expenses.
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter no longer than one page of A4 to email@example.com by 5pm on 23 June
• Why you are interested in working with Chris Haydon the director on this production of The Caretaker at Bristol Old Vic.
• Your relevant experience, what you can bring to the role and what you hope to get out of the role.
• How this assisting opportunity and involvement in the Bristol old Vic / JMK Trust Directors’ group will contribute to your professional development
• Your commitment to living and making theatre in Bristol.
Interviews will be held on 10 July
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com