The JMK Trust in partnership with Salisbury Playhouse (part of Wiltshire Creative) is offering an Assistant Director Bursary to a participant of the JMK & Salisbury Playhouse Directors’ Group. The bursary is an arts scholarship, funded by the Leverhulme Trust that will provide a learning and training opportunity for a talented emerging director, based in the South West who has demonstrated a commitment to directing and a passion for theatre making. The recipient will become a Leverhulme Arts Scholar.
We are looking for an assistant director for Ryan McBryde’s upcoming production of Love on the Links by PG Wodehouse, Adapted for the stage by Jon Glover & Edward Taylor. The show will run from 31st May-23rd June 2018 on the main stage at Salisbury Playhouse.
Love on the Links
In the rarefied surroundings of Wood Hills Golf Club in deepest Surrey all is very genteel. The Oldest Member is having a snooze in the corner while the barman is pouring another White Horse and Malvern at the ‘19th Hole’.
It’s soon time, however, for The Oldest Member to stir in his armchair and regale us with stories of seduction, canoodling and thwarted love, with the help of some biffo club members, not to mention the ever graceful Daphne Cartwright and the dashing Jack Ramage.
Ryan McBryde is an award-winning director who has recently directed Jack and The Beanstalk, Before The Party, Aladdin and Cinderella for Salisbury Playhouse. Other recent productions include 1984 at the Alte Schauspielhaus, Stuttgart, which was nominated for the prestigious Theaterpreis Der Faust; The Ruling Class for the English Theatre Frankfurt; Angus, Thongs And Even More Snogging at the West Yorkshire Playhouse and The Who’s Tommy, European Tour.
The assistant director will need to be available for:
Interviews: 16th March 2018
Rehearsals from: 30th April 2018
Technical from: 29th May 2018
First preview: 31st May 2018
Press: 5th June 2018
Closes: 23rd June 2018
As Assistant Director, your duties would include:
- To provide general assistance to the Director.
- As agreed with the Director, to carry out any research that will inform and benefit the production.
- To observe rehearsals and have input in discussions and production meetings.
- To assist the company in documenting the rehearsal process for the purposes of marketing, archiving and evaluating the project through blogs, social media and other forms as agreed.
- To observe and assist the Director in the production week as required.
- To attend and participate in post-show discussions by mutual agreement with the Producer.
- To support the company whilst the play is in performance as agreed with the Director and Stage Manager, including attending and noting the production.
- Any further duties as required by the Director.
The bursary recipient will demonstrate a commitment to living and making theatre in the South West region and will also be or become a participant of the JMK Salisbury Playhouse Directors’ Group and as part of the bursary will also be responsible for working with JMK and Salisbury Playhouse to support and facilitate the group
The Leverhulme Bursary consists of £2,350.
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com by 28th February. Please detail:
- Why you are interested in working with Ryan McBryde on this production of Love on the Links at Salisbury Playhouse
- Your relevant experience and what you can bring to the role
- How this assisting opportunity and involvement in the Salisbury Playhouse JMK Trust Directors’ group will contribute to your professional development
- Your commitment to living and making theatre in the South West
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview with Ryan McBryde on 16th March 2018 at Salisbury Playhouse.
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org