Opportunity to be the Assistant Director on a Traverse Theatre Company Festival 2018 Production
The JMK Trust in partnership with Traverse Theatre is offering an Assistant Director Bursary to a participant of the JMK & Traverse Theatre Directors’ Group. The bursary is an arts scholarship, funded by the Leverhulme Trust, that will provide a learning and training opportunity for a talented emerging director, who has demonstrated a commitment to directing and a passion for theatre making. The recipient will become a Leverhulme Arts Scholar.
The bursary recipient will also be responsible for working with the JMK and Traverse Theatre to support the Directors’ Group until next year’s bursary recipient is chosen.
The Leverhulme Bursary consists of £2,350.
We are looking for an assistant director to work with Traverse Associate Director, Gareth Nicholls on an upcoming Traverse Theatre Company Festival 2018 production. The production shall be staged in Traverse 2. Details of the production are currently under embargo. Shortlisted candidates shall be made aware of the production and playwright when invited to interview.
- The assistant director will undertake a six week full time placement including rehearsals and tech week.
- Prior to rehearsals, the assistant director may be invited to auditions, production meetings and given research tasks by the Director.
- The assistant director will be required to be available throughout the run to watch and note performances, at dates agreed in advance with the Director.
- The assistant director should have a good understanding of the Traverse’s artistic mission along with our current work and programming.
- The assistant director will need to demonstrate a commitment to living and making theatre in or near the Edinburgh / Lothian area.
- The assistant director will be an existing member of the JMK/Traverse Directors Programme, and if not already a member, must be willing to join the group and play an active role in programme’s development.
Rehearsals from: w/c 2nd July 2018
Technical week commencing: w/c 23rd July 2018
First preview: 27th July 2018
Press: 3rd August 2018
Closes: 26th August 2018
Interviews shall be held on Thursday 12th of April 2018. Those invited to interview, will be interviewed by Traverse Associate Director Gareth Nicholls and JMK General Manager, Jo Holding. Ahead of the interview candidates will be given details on the play and expected to come prepared to discuss their thoughts, along with answering questions on their skills and experience as relevant to the role.
How to Apply
Click to download the Traverse. JMK Assistant Director Application Pack 2018, or it can be downloaded from the Traverse website: https://www.traverse.co.uk/about-us/job-vacancies/
Please send a completed application pack to email@example.com by 6pm on Tuesday 27th of March.
- Why you are interested in working with Gareth Nicholls on this Traverse Theatre Company Festival 2018 production
- How this bursary opportunity will contribute to your professional development
- Your relevant experience and what you can bring to the role
If you have any questions relating to the Traverse Theatre please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions relating to the JMK Trust please contact email@example.com