Assistant Director Opportunity at Northern Stage
The JMK Trust in partnership with Northern Stage is offering an Assistant Director Bursary to a participant of the JMK & Northern Stage Directors’ Group. The bursary is an arts scholarship, funded by the Leverhulme Trust that will provide a learning and training opportunity for a talented emerging director, based in the North East who has demonstrated a commitment to directing and a passion for theatre making. The recipient will become a Leverhulme Arts Scholar.
We are looking for an assistant director for Mark Calvert’s upcoming production of Frankie & Johnny in the Clair de Lune. This production of Frankie & Johnny in the Clair de Lune is a Northern Stage production, designed by Rhys Jarman, lighting design Zia Holly Bergen with sound design by Nick John Williams. The show will be presented in a reconfigured Stage 1 at Northern Stage.
The assistant director will need to be available for:
Rehearsals from 23rd April 2018
Technical from 15th May 2018
First preview 19th May 2018
Press: 24th May 2018
Closes: 2nd June 2018
As Assistant Director, your duties would include:
- To provide general assistance to the Director.
- As agreed with the Director, to carry out any research that will inform and benefit the production.
- To observe rehearsals and have input in discussions and production meetings.
- To assist the company in documenting the rehearsal process for the purposes of marketing, archiving and evaluating the project through blogs, social media and other forms as agreed.
- To observe and assist the Director in the production week as required.
- To attend and participate in post-show discussions by mutual agreement with the Producer.
- To support the company whilst the play is in performance as agreed with the Director and Stage Manager, including attending and noting the production.
- Any further duties as required by the Director.
The bursary recipient will demonstrate a commitment to living and making theatre in the North East area and will also be or become a participant of the JMK & Northern Stage Directors’ Group. As part of the bursary, the recipient will also be responsible for working with JMK and Northern Stage to support and facilitate the group until next year’s bursary recipient is chosen.
The Leverhulme Bursary consists of £2,350.
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter to Mark Calvert at firstname.lastname@example.org by 13th April 2018. Interviews will take place on 19th April – applicants must make sure they are available on that date.
Why you are interested in working with Mark Calvert the director on this production of Frankie & Johnny in the Clair de Lune at Northern Stage.
- Your relevant experience and what you can bring to the role
- How this assisting opportunity and involvement in the JMK & Northern Stage Directors’ Group will contribute to your professional development
- Your commitment to living and making theatre in the North East.
If you have any questions please contact email@example.com