The JMK Trust in partnership with Birmingham Repertory Theatre is offering an Assistant Director Bursary to a participant of the JMK & The REP Directors’ Group. The bursary is an arts scholarship, funded by the Leverhulme Trust that will provide a learning and training opportunity for a talented emerging director, based in the West Midlands who has demonstrated a commitment to directing and a passion for theatre making. The recipient will become a Leverhulme Arts Scholar.
We are looking for an Assistant Director for Melly Still’s upcoming production of The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, adapted by Bryony Lavery.
The assistant director will need to be available for:
W/C Monday 30th July 2018: Rehearsals, Northampton Royal & Derngate
W/C Monday 6th August 2018: Rehearsals, Northampton Royal & Derngate
W/C Monday 13th August 2018: Rehearsals, Northampton Royal & Derngate
W/C Monday 20th August 2018: Rehearsals, Northampton Royal & Derngate
W/C Monday 27th August 2018: Production Week, Northampton Royal & Derngate
Friday 31st August 2018: Preview 1, Northampton Royal & Derngate
Wednesday 5th September 2018: Press Night, Northampton Royal & Derngate
Saturday 22nd September 2018: Last performance at Northampton Royal & Derngate
And subsequently to attend the get-in and opening performances of the following runs:
Tuesday 25th September to Saturday 6th October 2018: Performances Liverpool Everyman
Tuesday 9th October to Saturday 20th October 2018: Performances Northern Stage
Tuesday 23rd October to Saturday 27th October 2018: Performances Oxford Playhouse (tbc)
Tuesday 30th October to Saturday 10th November 2018: Performances Birmingham Repertory Theatre
Tuesday 13th November to Saturday 17th November 2018: Performances at New Wolsey Theatre
As Assistant Director, your duties would include:
- To provide general assistance to the Director.
- As agreed with the Director, to carry out any research that will inform and benefit the production.
- To observe rehearsals and have input to discussions and production meetings.
- To assist the company in documenting the rehearsal process for the purposes of marketing, archiving and evaluating the project through blogs, social media and other forms as agreed.
- To observe and assist the Director in the production week as required.
- To attend and participate in post-show discussions by mutual agreement with the Producers.
- To support the company whilst the play is in performance as agreed with the Director and Stage Manager, including seeing the production in to touring venues and noting the production on tour.
- Any further duties as required by the Director.
The bursary recipient will demonstrate a commitment to living and making theatre in the Midlands and will also be or become a participant of the JMK Birmingham REP Directors’ Group, and as part of the bursary will also be responsible for working with the JMK Artistic Coordinator and The REP to support and facilitate the group until next year’s bursary recipient is chosen.
The Leverhulme Bursary consisting of £2,350 will cover the rehearsal and performance period in Northampton until Saturday 22nd September 2018. Any additional work after that date, including attendance at tour venues will be paid for by The REP at a daily rate of £125 per day.
Expenses: In addition to the above fee, The REP will provide accommodation in hotels or apartments whilst in Northampton and at partner venues. The REP will also reimburse reasonable standard class return rail fares upon presentation of an invoice and appropriate receipts. No other out of pocket expenses will be covered.
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter to Sarah-Katy.Davies@birmingham-rep.co.uk by 6pm on Monday 7th May. Interviews will be held on Monday 21st May 2018.
- Why you are interested in working with Melly Still on this production of The Lovely Bones
- Your relevant experience and what you can bring to the role
- How this assisting opportunity and involvement in the Birmingham Repertory Theatre & JMK Trust Directors’ Group will contribute to your professional development
- Your commitment to living and making theatre in the Midlands
If you have any questions please contact Sarah-Katy.Davies@birmingham-rep.co.uk