The JMK Trust in partnership with Reading Rep and Nuffield Southampton Theatres is offering an Assistant Director Bursary to assist Roy Alexander Weise on the forthcoming tour of The Mountaintop. The bursary is an arts scholarship, funded by the Leverhulme Trust, that will provide a learning and training opportunity for a talented emerging director who has demonstrated a commitment to directing and a passion for theatre making. The recipient will become a Leverhulme Arts Scholar. We are particularly interested in hearing from directors from Black or Asian backgrounds that are living and making work outside of London.
We are looking for an assistant director to assist Roy Alexander Weise (winner of the JMK Award 2016) on the tour of The Mountaintop, which is a co-production between Desara Productions, Reading Rep and Nuffield Southampton Theatres.
The assistant director will need to be available for:
Rehearsals from 10th September 2018 in London
Technical from 24th September 2018 in Southampton
First preview: 26th September 2018 in Southampton
Press: 2nd October 2018 in Southampton
Tour: several days each week between 3rd October to 2nd December 2018 (not touring weeks of 29th October or 5th November).
As Assistant Director, your duties would include:
- To provide general assistance to the Director.
- To observe rehearsals and have input in discussions and production meetings.
- To assist the company in documenting the rehearsal process for the purposes of marketing, archiving and evaluating the project through blogs, social media and other forms as agreed.
- To observe and assist the Director in the production week as required.
- To attend and participate in post-show discussions by mutual agreement with the Producer.
- To support the company whilst the play is in performance as agreed with the Director and Stage Manager, including seeing the production in to touring venues and noting the production on tour.
- Any further duties as required by the Director.
The bursary recipient will demonstrate a commitment to making theatre and will also be or become a participant of their nearest JMK Directors’ Group and as part of the bursary will also be responsible for working with JMK to support and facilitate the group until next year’s bursary recipient is chosen.
The Leverhulme Bursary consists of £2,350. A relocation allowance for rehearsals and a daily touring allowance will be paid in addition to the bursary where appropriate.
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com by 5pm on 29th August 2018. Interviews will take place in week of 3rd September.
- Why you are interested in working with Roy Alexander Weise.
- Your relevant experience and what you can bring to the role.
- How this assisting opportunity will contribute to your professional development.
- Your commitment to living and making theatre in your local area.
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org