The JMK Trust are pleased to announce the 8 shortlisted candidates for the 23rd JMK Director Award in partnership with The Orange Tree Theatre. The winner will be announced on Wednesday 13th July at an industry event and the production takes place October this year. Get in early and book your tickets now!
Each year, we receive over a hundred applications for this unique and rare opportunity for an emerging director to stage their first full-scale professional production at an acclaimed London theatre. We are pleased to introduce the 8 shortlisted candidates:
- Emily Aboud (she/they) with their production of Meetings by Mustapha Matura. Designer: Anna Reid (she/her)
- Joanna Bowman (she/her) with her production of Crave by Sarah Kane. Designer: Alisa Kalyanova (she/her)
- Emerald Crankson (she/her) with her production of Swallow by Stef Smith. Designer: Zoe Hurwitz (she/her)
- Leo Doulton (he/him) with his production of Nightwatchman by Prasanna Puwanarajah. Designer: Charley Ipsen (they/them)
- Dale Edwards (he/him) with his production of hang by debbie tucker green. Designer: Caitlin Mawhinney (she/her)
- Masha Kevinovna (she/her) with her production of Crave by Sarah Kane. Designer: Cara Evans (she/they)
- Indiana Lown-Collins (she/her) with her production of The Solid Life of Sugar Water by Jack Thorne. Designer: Ica Niemz (he/they)
- Elsie Yager (she/her) with her production of Swallow by Stef Smith. Designer: TK Hay (he/him)
Pictured top left to right: Dale Edwards, Emily Aboud, Elsie Yager. Middle left to right: Masha Kevinovna, Indiana Lown-Collins. Bottom left to right: Joanna Bowman, Emerald Crankson, Leo Doulton.
Stephen Fewell, Chair of the JMK Trust, said today, “This year’s shortlisted directors represent some of the most exciting directors across the country, and we’re faced with the considerable challenge of choosing to promote the work of just one, when they are all so deserving of career success. At this time, when venues are finding their feet and their audiences again, we hope that by announcing this shortlist each and every one of them will attract interest and work opportunities. Of course, the winner receives a full production and the support of our host venue The Orange Tree Theatre, who already do so much to support and promote early career artists.”