JMK Victoria Wood Bursary and Associate Director Opportunity
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice at Northern Stage
Northern Stage is the largest producing theatre in the North East of England, with three performance spaces at its city centre venue in Newcastle.
Northern Stage and JMK are looking for an Associate Director to work on Northern Stage’s upcoming family Christmas production of The Sorcerer’s Apprentice, a brand new adaptation by Laura Lindow (The Snow Queen and The Emperor’s New Clothes). The Associate Director will be the recipient of a JMK Victoria Wood Bursary, generously supported by the Victoria Wood Foundation, and will work alongside the show’s Director Maria Crocker, as well as the wider creative team and staff at Northern Stage.
The Associate Director will work closely with the Director to support the creation of the show. There will be a 2-day R&D in August 2021, ahead of a 4-week rehearsal block in October 2021 going into tech and previews in November 2021 before a 6-week run in our ‘Epic’ main house space across November & December 2021 (key dates are outlined below).
It is anticipated that duties will involve:
- Read and study the play; discuss the interpretation and production concept with the Director.
- Understand the vision and intention of the production and identify opportunities to enrich it as the production is made.
- Assist the Director in planning the rehearsal process and work with the DSM and Director to create rehearsal calls.
- Attend all production meetings.
- Assist the Director as needed. Attend all rehearsals, taking notes and actively watching and listening, representing the audience in the room. Communicate regularly with the Director regarding the progress of the production.
- Run special rehearsals such as line-throughs, speed-throughs, etc. if the Director requests it.
- Attend movement, music and dialect calls in place of the Director, representing the vision in the room.
- Make notes for the Director as instructed during rehearsals and tech. Share these notes with the Director who may communicate them to the cast and/or crew.
- Host staff and visiting artists during the open rehearsal sessions and open tech sessions.
- Support the well-being and morale of the acting company and share any concerns directly with the director as they arise.
- Support talent development activity around the production.
- Attend one performance a week, reporting back to the Director and, where appropriate, give notes to the acting and technical company – TBC.
- Document their experience for NS blog, social media and NS development activity.
You must be available for the following dates:
|R&D||Weds 25th & Thurs 26th August 10am – 6pm in Stage 3|
|Rehearsals||w/c 25th Oct x 4 weeks (Raby St)|
|Get In||w/c 15th November 2021|
|Tech||w/c 22nd November 2021|
|Performances||27th November – 31st December 2021|
|Previews||27th Nov – 1st December 2021|
|Press Night||2nd December 2021|
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- An experienced Assistant Director, with two previous assisting credits on professional productions, who is looking to develop mid-scale experience and grow their involvement and responsibility on a production.
- A keen interest and/or experience of working with music in a theatre setting.
- A keen interest and/or experience of creating work for families would be desirable.
- Someone who is organised, confident, flexible, calm and approachable.
- A good team player who is willing to work collaboratively with the team around the show (creatives, actors, stage managers and staff at Northern Stage).
- Someone who embodies Northern Stage’s core values and beliefs.
- Someone who is living in or originally from the north east with a commitment to making work in the region.
- We particularly welcome applications from Black and ethnically diverse people and those who identify as living with a disability.
Northern Stage are committed to making their work fully accessible. They will endeavour to make sure that all activity takes place in wheelchair accessible spaces. Please let us know in your application if you have any specific requirements, such as:
- A BSL Interpreter
- Closed captioning for Zoom sessions (planning meetings etc.)
- Correspondence in a particular format and provided ahead of time
- A visit to the venue ahead of your session to familiarise yourself with the space
- Access to a quiet space during the session
Northern Stage is always looking for ways to improve their accessibility across the organisation so please don’t hesitate to let us know of any other specific requirements that would make your visit as comfortable as possible and we will do our best to meet them.
In order to ensure a broad range of voices are part of these conversations, and in particular those who are underrepresented or otherwise disadvantaged in our sector, we will be monitoring the diversity of backgrounds, sexual orientation, gender, age, ethnicity and disability as part of the selection process. This information will be treated confidentially and will only be seen by our selection team and support team, and is to help us ensure that we are as inclusive as possible. If you ever change your mind, and want something taken off your record, you can ask us at any time by email, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
ABOUT THE SHOW
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Written by Laura Lindow
Directed by Maria Crocker
Grab your magical marching mop and join us in this enchanting new production.
Harrietta Rabbit was just a normal girl from a normal family (well, as normal as families get). That is until a job offer arrives for Harrietta, in the form of a letter slid underneath the door on a cold winter’s night, she is to become the Sorcerer’s Apprentice…
A truly magical treat for the whole family that’s not to be missed this Christmas!
- 6 actors.
- ‘Epic Space’ at Northern Stage (Stage 1 and 2 combined)
- 4-week rehearsal period and 6-week performance run.
- Live streamed performance, with further streamed performances available for the rest of the run – TBC.
- Opportunity to collaborate with an extensive creative team (Director, Set & Costume Designer, Composer & Musical Director, Lighting Designer, Sound Designer, Movement Director, Illusionist, and Puppet Maker & Director) as well as core staff at Northern Stage.
- The Sorcerer’s Apprentice is part of Northern Stage’s Housewarming season – the first programme to re-open the venue after closure due to Covid-19 restrictions.
- Opportunity to lead, support and create wrap around activity as the Housewarming theme extends beyond the work on stage to include talent development and audience engagement strands.
- We are in a transition year in terms of our talent development programme. Current activity is comprised of lots of deep listening, consultation and delivery of a short term response programme (Recover). Our intention in the future is to focus on deeper and more transformative opportunities for directors, designers, community embedded artists, production and technicians. We see The Sorcerer’s Apprentice as having an important role in seeding that commitment and intention.
- The successful candidate will receive a bursary of £2,350 from JMK, and a fee of £1,250 from Northern Stage (£3,600 total which equates to a weekly fee of £600 per week for the duration of the engagement).
- Weekly show watches and note taking will be paid at a separate day fee if needed/applicable.
- You will be contracted as self-employed and be responsible for paying your own tax and National Insurance contributions.
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 noon on Friday 2nd July.
- Why you are interested in working with Maria Crocker on this production of The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
- Your relevant experience and what you can bring to the role
- How this associate opportunity will contribute to your professional development
- Your commitment to living and making theatre in the North East.
Alternatively you can send a sound recording or video detailing the same information.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview with Maria Crocker and a representative of JMK on Thursday 15th July
If you have any questions please contact email@example.com