Deadline: Monday 13 August 2018
The JMK Trust in partnership with Wiltshire Creative is offering an Assistant Director Bursary to a participant of the JMK Directors’ Group at Wiltshire Creative and Nuffield Southampton Theatres. The bursary is an arts scholarship, funded by the Leverhulme Trust that will provide a learning and training opportunity for a talented emerging director, based in the South West, who has demonstrated a commitment to directing and a passion for theatre making. The recipient will become a Leverhulme Arts Scholar.
We are looking for an assistant director for Ryan McBryde’s upcoming production of Beauty and the Beast written by Andrew Pollard, designed by James Button (the team behind last year’s record-breaking Jack and the Beanstalk). The show will run from 1 December 2018 – 13 January 2019 on the main stage at Salisbury Playhouse. This is a fantastic opportunity for an emerging/early career director with experience of working as an Assistant Director to work on a main stage show, gaining an insight into an established director’s rehearsal process and undertaking a number of key responsibilities such as working with understudies.
Ryan McBryde is an award-winning director who has recently directed Love on the Links, Jack and The Beanstalk, Before The Party, Aladdin and Cinderella for Salisbury Playhouse. Other recent productions include 1984 at the Alte Schauspielhaus, Stuttgart, which was nominated for the prestigious Theaterpreis Der Faust; The Ruling Class for the English The-atre Frankfurt; Angus, Thongs And Even More Snogging at the West Yorkshire Playhouse and The Who’s Tommy, European Tour.
The assistant director will need to be available for:
Interviews: 16th August in London (between 10am-12.30pm)
Rehearsals from: 5th November 2018
Technical from: 26th November 2018
First preview: 1st December 2018
Press: 5th December 2018
Closes: 13th January 2019
As Assistant Director, your duties would include:
• To provide general assistance to the Director.
• As agreed with the Director, to carry out any research that will inform and benefit the production.
• To observe rehearsals and have input in discussions and production meetings.
• To assist the company in documenting the rehearsal process for the purposes of marketing, archiving and evaluating the project through blogs, social media and other forms as agreed.
• To work with understudies throughout the rehearsal period and run understudy calls whilst the play is in performance
• To observe and assist the Director in the production week as required.
• To attend and participate in post-show discussions by mutual agreement with the Producer.
• To support the company whilst the play is in performance as agreed with the Director and Stage Manager, including attending and noting the production.
• Any further duties as required by the Director.
The bursary recipient will demonstrate a commitment to living and making theatre in the South West region and will also be or become a participant of the JMK Salisbury Playhouse Directors’ Group and as part of the bursary will also be responsible for working with JMK and Salisbury Playhouse to support and facilitate the group.
The Leverhulme Bursary consists of £2,350.
How to apply:
Please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com by Monday 13th August 2018 at 5pm.
• Why you are interested in working with Ryan McBryde on this production of Beauty and the Beast at Salisbury Playhouse.
• Your relevant experience and what you can bring to the role.
• How this assisting opportunity and involvement in the Salisbury Playhouse JMK Trust Directors’ group will contribute to your professional development.
• Your commitment to living and making theatre in the South West.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview with Ryan McBryde on Thursday 16th August in London (between 10am-12.30pm).
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.